As A Druid, I connect a lot to what we call Awen. Awen is considered a force that can flow through anyone open to receiving it, and it helps to inspire creativity, insight, and spiritual illumination. It is also seen as a way of connecting with the natural world and the cycles of the seasons and tapping into the wisdom and knowledge of the cosmos. We each have a spark of our own, Awen, within us.
Many of us use the Awen symbol as a way of invoking inspiration and guidance and as a reminder to stay connected to the creative source within ourselves and the cosmos. After all, most of us Druids are Priests/Priestex/Priestesses of Awen.
Follow and Find our own Awen
Below is my interpretation of Awen using the different parts of its symbolizim to connect with its teachings I see it provides and a Rite to help connect with the energies Awen vibrates.
The three aspects of Awen are described as the three rays emanating from three points of light within the symbol. These three points represent the triple aspect of Awen, as well as the three realms of existence.
The first aspect of Awen represents the realm of the divine or the spiritual. This is the aspect of Awen that connects us with the higher realms and the divine source of all creation. It is the aspect that opens us up to spiritual insights and revelations and guides us on our spiritual path.
The second aspect of Awen represents the realm of nature or the physical world. This is the aspect of Awen that connects us with the natural world and the cycles of life and death. It is the aspect that inspires us to appreciate the beauty and power of nature and to work in harmony with the natural world.
The third aspect of Awen represents the realm of the self or the individual. This is the aspect of Awen that connects us with our own creativity, intuition, and inner wisdom. It is the aspect that inspires us to express ourselves fully and to use our unique gifts to make a positive change in the world.
By connecting with all three aspects of Awen, we can achieve a deeper understanding of ourselves, our place in the world, and our connection to the divine. We can tap into our own inner wisdom and creativity and use it to bring positive change and transformation in our lives and in the world around us.
Rite of the three rays of Awen
- “Honoring the Triad” focuses on the first aspect of the ritual, which is about honoring the three aspects of Awen represented by the three lines of the Awen symbol.
- “Manifesting the Awen” highlights the second aspect of the ritual, which is about connecting with the inner source of Awen and tapping into the creative inspiration within.
- “Awakening the Source” emphasizes the third aspect of the ritual, which is about using the creative inspiration and divine guidance gained from the first two aspects to manifest and bring forth something new into the world.
- Awen symbol (you can draw or print it)
- 3 Incense
- Bowl of water
- A small bowl of soil or sand
- Paper and pen
If you are in one of the many Druid orders, you can use your version of opening a sacred space or utilizing the AODA SOP beforehand.
Place the Awen symbol in front of you, along with the candle, incense, bowl of water, and bowl of soil/sand. Light the candle and take a moment to center yourself.
Call upon the first aspect of Awen, the divine or spiritual aspect, and light your first incense stick.
“Hail to the divine aspect of Awen, the source of all creation. I call upon your guidance and inspiration as I journey deeper into the spiritual realm. May your wisdom and light guide me on my path.”
- Close your eyes and visualize yourself surrounded by a bright light. Allow yourself to connect with the divine source of all creation and to receive any insights or messages that come through.
- When you feel ready, take the pen and paper and write down any insights or messages you received during the visualization.
- Next, call upon the second aspect of Awen, the nature or physical aspect, and light your second incense stick.
“Hail to the aspect of Awen that connects me with the natural world and the cycles of life and death. I call upon your power and beauty as I work harmoniously with the natural world. May your inspiration guide me to honor and protect the earth.”
- Take the bowl of water and dip your fingers in it. Then, take the bowl of soil/sand and hold it in your other hand. Allow yourself to connect with the energy of the natural world and to feel the connection between water and earth.
- Take a moment to reflect on how you can work in harmony with the natural world and honor its beauty and power.
- Finally, call upon the third aspect of Awen, the self or individual aspect, and light your third incense stick.
“Hail to the aspect of Awen that connects me with my creativity, intuition, and inner wisdom. I call upon your inspiration and guidance as I express myself fully and use my unique gifts make a positive change in the world. May your wisdom and creativity guide me to live my life purpose.”
- Take the pen and paper and write down any ideas or insights that come to you regarding how you can express yourself fully and use your unique gifts to make a positive difference.
- When you feel ready, take a few deep breaths and slowly return to your physical surroundings.
- Thank the three aspects of Awen for their guidance and inspiration. Blow out the candle and incense and pour the water and soil/sand back into nature as a symbol of gratitude and respect.